Storage and Travel
How to store unopened Levemir® (insulin detemir [rDNA origin] injection):
Unopened Levemir® FlexPen® and Levemir® (insulin detemir [rDNA origin] injection) vials should be kept in the refrigerator
at a temperature range between 36° to 46°F (2° to 8°C).
- Do not freeze Levemir® FlexPen® and Levemir® vials or use if frozen
- Keep unopened Levemir® FlexPen® and Levemir® vials in the carton to protect from
How to store Levemir® (insulin detemir [rDNA origin] injection) while in use:
Once in use, Levemir® FlexPen® should be kept at room temperature, below 86°F (30°C),
for up to 42 days. That means you can use Levemir® FlexPen® for almost a month and
a half without refrigeration.
- Do not store a Levemir® FlexPen® that you are using in the refrigerator
- Keep Levemir® FlexPen® away from direct heat or light
- Be sure to throw away a used Levemir® FlexPen® after 42 days, even if there is insulin
left in the syringe
Once in use, vials should be kept in the refrigerator or at room temperature below
86°F (30°C) for up to 42 days.
- Keep vials away from direct heat or light
- Throw away an opened vial after 42 days of use, even if there is insulin left in
- Unopened vials can be used until the expiration date on the Levemir® label, if the
medicine has been stored in a refrigerator
Can go almost anywhere
Once in use, Levemir® FlexPen® and Levemir® vials may be used for up to 42 days
without refrigeration, but must be kept at room temperature (below 86°F). That means
you can store your Levemir® FlexPen® in your bedside table or
wherever you keep your other diabetes supplies.
If you’re traveling, you can keep Levemir® FlexPen® in your pocket, purse, or bag—you
won’t have to pack and bring along a cooler. Since it is about the size of a fountain
pen, you can take Levemir® FlexPen® almost anywhere.